Are you looking for a quick dish full of flavor and fresh ingredients? Whip up a simple batch of Indian Lemon Rice! It’s the easiest way to use leftover rice and spice up any meal!
You are all about to love me. I’m about to share a super tasty, save the day, oh so quick recipe with all of you! My husband’s family thinks it’s hilarious how much I love this dish, but I can’t help it!
I love how simple it is and the fact that I can whip it up on a whim.
There’s even something that makes it better… My kids love it! All three of my boys will eat this and beg for seconds. Moms out there fully understand this one.
What is this delicious dish you ask?
It’s a fresh Indian side dish, perfect to go along with your favorite chicken curry or daal. Every bite is fragrant and full of delicious spice.
Our house is always full of rice. It’s a staple with just about every one of our meals and sometimes we have too much leftover. Lemon rice is perfect because you can use leftover rice from the night before.
I love just about any dish that saves me time and money. This dish is definitely that. If you don’t believe me, you need to whip some up tonight! Your family will thank you and so will your grocery budget.
- 2 cups of dry rice (basmati or jasmine)
- 3 cups of water
- 2 lemons
- 1 tbs oil
- 1 tbs butter
- 1/2 tbs salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbs mustard seeds
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 dried red chili
- 1 small handful of peanuts (optional)
- Cook your rice (2 cups of dry rice to 3 cups of water). I usually use a rice cooker and use the 1 cup of rice to 1 1/2 cups of water. After your rice is cooked, squeeze your lemons over it. Make sure you don't drop any seeds into the mixture.
- In a separate bowl, heat up your oil and butter over medium/low heat. Then add in the rest of the ingredients, except the salt. Heat the mixture for about 5 minutes or until the peanuts are browned. If you're not using peanuts, heat for 5-7 minutes.
- The peanuts add an amazing crunch and taste to the dish. If you are a peanut fan, definitely add them.
- After it has cooked, add it to the rice mixture. Transfer the rice to the pan and make sure it's warmed through.